Old dating customs
The building is a Spanish-period building which was remodeled by the United States in 1924, with small changes since then.The two-story building has massive masonry walls and large arched entrances to a central courtyard that reflects its Spanish origins, while the false partial gables with Spanish barrel tiles are typical of the United States Spanish Revival architectural work of the 1920s.During the Spanish-American occupation, General Nelson A.Miles established the headquarters of the American army in the customhouse, from which he directed the invasion of the southern part of Puerto Rico. Customs Service undertook a comprehensive program of rebuilding and new construction.There is a sidewalk around the four sides of the building, with the one on Bonaire Street wider and providing three mature trees.
A sheet of drawings, unsigned and undated, for the remodeling are in the San Juan Custom House files, and U. Customs Service believes that they may be Nichols' work.Three other sheets signed by Rafael Carmoega, Chief architect of the insular government and presumed to date from August 1930, exist in the Public Building Service records.